L'unico, autentico, inimitabile....
Rispondi
Daniel Kalal
Utente Registrato
Contatta:

...New Mexico [many photographs]

Messaggio da Daniel Kalal »

Immagine

Northern New Mexico is strikingly varied--from the wide-open plains in the east to the rugged Rocky Mountains in the center and the high mesa deserts of the Navajo Nation of the west.

My goal was to aim for the small town of Coyote (a place I hadn't been), but that was really only a way to get started. I'd change my routes along the way, mostly trying to pick up roads I've never ridden. As it turned out, I rode right through Coyote without even stopping (it's easy to miss).

Immagine Kansas

Years ago, center-pivot irrigation, such as this, would be a fountain of water, with the spray shooting in great circles such as you might see on a golf course. But, today, this is the norm. The spray is just inches above the crop, and you'll no longer see most of the water drifting off in the wind, only to evaporate before hitting any crop.

Immagine

Immagine Oklahoma
If you like grand, uninterrupted vistas, you'll enjoy the Oklahoma panhandle.
Immagine

Immagine New Mexico

Clayton, New Mexico,

Immagine

I've stayed the night at the Eklund Hotel several times. The restaurant is excellent and the rooms are nice, too.

Immagine

Immagine Immagine

Immagine

Highway 56, the route of the Santa Fe Trail.

Immagine

Throughout this trip, I'd be seeing huge fields of yellow sunflowers.

Immagine

Immagine

Miami, New Mexico is a small place on New Mexico 199. Sometimes it's difficult to find anything that looks town-like for these photographs.

Immagine

This stretch of highway 21 follows the old route of the Santa Fe Trail. That's the “Tooth of Time” formation in the distance. In the days of freight hauling in the nineteenth century, when you passed that rock, you were about a week from reaching your goal of Santa Fe.

Immagine

The Cimarron Canyon on the way to Taos.

Immagine

Looking over the Rio Grande valley southwest of Taos. Look close, and you'll see the river canyon in the center of the photograph. There aren't many bridges over the river.

Immagine

The Rio Grande while following highway 68. Yes; it's yellow. It eventually clears.

Immagine

Highway 96, riding towards Coyote.

Immagine

Immagine

This is “red rock” country.

Immagine

Immagine

It's very striking country, but you'd be advised to get fuel when you can.

Immagine

Heading west out of Cuba, New Mexico. Off and on, this is Navajo Nation.

Immagine

Immagine

You could probably have a picnic on this road and not worry much about traffic.

Immagine

Immagine

Here (or nearby) is the continental divide.

Immagine

Turning north on highway 371 towards the Chaco River and then Farmington.

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine Colorado

Following highway 140 and La Plata River towards the San Juan Mountains.

Immagine

Immagine

Yes; that's called Chimney Rock--not to be confused by a number of similar formations, all with that same name.

Immagine

Highway 160 through the southern counties of Colorado.

Immagine

Immagine

Navajo Peak (13,409 ft.).

Immagine

Immagine New Mexico

The obvious crossing of the divide would be over Wolf Creek Pass, but that road has long been tamed and straightened and the route is now pretty busy. Instead, I'm dropping back into New Mexico to cross over Cumbres Pass (10,022 ft.).

Immagine

Chama, New Mexico is one end of the Cumbres&Toltec Railroad.

Immagine Immagine

Climbing towards the pass. That's highway 17 on the right and the rails in the center

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine Colorado

It's a nice view from the top looking north to the Conejos River and an unspoiled Rocky Mountain valley.

Immagine

The Conejos River.

Immagine

Immagine

Antonito, Colorado is at the other end of the short line.

Immagine Immagine

Manassa, Colorado is the hometown of Jack Dempsey, “The Manassa Mauler.” I'm guessing the town is now smaller than it was when Dempsey was here.

Immagine

Looking south down the San Luis Valley.

Immagine

Blanca Peak (14,345 ft.) is the tallest of the grouping on the left and Mount Lindsey (14,125 ft.) is just to the left of where the road is pointing. This is part of the long Sangre de Cristo Range.

Immagine

The Spanish Peaks. That's East Peak (12,683 ft.) on the left and West Peak (13,626 ft.) on the right--not difficult names to remember. These are the last of the Rocky Mountains. Keep going east and you'll very soon be in the great plains.

Immagine

It's not really flat, but it can seem that way after spending most of the day riding in the mountains. Highway 10 runs between Walsenburg and La Junta, Colorado.

Immagine

A nice trip. You cannot go wrong spending a few days in New Mexico.
marco58
Utente Registrato
La/le tua/e Moto Guzzi:: NTX650 (1987) - NTX1200 Stelvio (2011) - V85TT giallo sahara (2020)

Re: ...New Mexico [many photographs]

Messaggio da marco58 »

:clap: :clap:
:ok: :ok:
rb22
Utente Registrato
La/le tua/e Moto Guzzi:: norge 1200

Messaggio da rb22 »

What a wonderful places!!
He59
Utente Registrato
La/le tua/e Moto Guzzi:: California 1400 Custom...in gemellaggio con Husky 701 SM

Messaggio da He59 »

great!...just a question: how does it fill to be to be the only human in US? :rollin
Rispondi

Torna a “Forum Generale”