L'unico, autentico, inimitabile....
Rispondi
Daniel Kalal
Utente Registrato
Contatta:

...to Judith Gap, Montana [ many photographs]

Messaggio da Daniel Kalal »

Immagine

Judith Gap is between two mountains in central Montana: the Little Belt Mountains and the Big Snowy Mountains. It is the natural north-south route that has been used for centuries, perhaps most famously by Chief Joseph and his bands of Nez Perce during the Nez Perce War of 1877.

Montana-191 is the highway over the gap; it's a road I've not ever ridden. That's my goal for this trip. The rest of this seemingly random route was just avoiding rain (as best I could), although I did manage to hit a few more stretches of roads that were new to me (especially in North Dakota).

Immagine

Immagine Kansas

Nickerson, Kansas. It's an unfortunate thing that many of the small-town cafes in the Great Plains are either going out-of-business, currently out-of-business, or just opening up for yet another try at it. I caught the Sunshine cafe for breakfast on a day that it was open for business.

Immagine Immagine

This is post-rock country. You don't need much imagination to know how treeless this area once was. You want fence posts? Then, cut them out of the ground.

Immagine Immagine

I'd be riding in a strong forty mph tailwind that would switch round to a strong forty mph headwind within just ten miles. Crazy weather. Later that night I'd hear that the storm you see (below) contained a few tornadoes as well as golf ball size hail. I avoided anything that serious.

Immagine

Immagine Nebraska

This time of year, you've got to expect anything. It's pretty cold; in staying in the high thirty degrees all morning.

Immagine

Add a little rain...

Immagine

I do like the panhandle region of Nebraska. Except for the map, you'd figure that you were in Wyoming. Even the time zone is Wyoming time (not Omaha time). I'd even suppose that the locals cheer on the Wyoming Cowboys over the Nebraska Cornhuskers.

Immagine

I'd be leaning over because of the strong side-wind while the clouds are moving in a different direction. Strange.

Immagine

A little bit of sun is welcome.

Immagine

Immagine Wyoming

Immagine

Lusk, Wyoming water tower (built 1886). There are not many existing wood water towers that have not been dismantled. This one looks in fine shape. Evidently, the tank is made from Redwood.

Immagine

Keep an eye for Pronghorns.

Immagine

Immagine Immagine

If you've ever ridden through coal-country in West Virginia, you'll wonder why they even bother when compared to the vast operations in the Wyoming Thunder Basin.

Immagine Immagine

Immagine Montana

Immagine

Immagine

Broadus, Montana. I guess I'm just unlucky, but every time I've been through Broadus, I've had to ride several miles of road-construction dirt. No matter; it's smooth enough. The wait at the light is about thirty minutes.

Immagine Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Colstrip, Montana. This my look like a large operation, but compared to the Wyoming mines, it's pretty small.

Immagine

The tracks into Colstrip don't look much used. Perhaps most all the mined coal is consumed by the power station.

Immagine

Forsyth, Montana.

Immagine

Fine dining (as it says) at the Joseph Cafe.

Immagine Immagine

Vananda school (built 1920). These remote towns live and die with the railroad. The railroad has long pulled up the tracks, so the town is gone as well. It's likely that the land didn't turn out to be so bountiful as was first advertised, either.

Immagine

You don't need to worry much about traffic in this part of Montana; but, you'd best keep your tank filled when you have the opportunity. The small towns might have fuel, but you shouldn't count on the station being open.

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Roundup, Montana.

Immagine

Harlowton, Montana.

Immagine

Immagine Immagine Immagine

Immagine Immagine

Harlowton once had a roundhouse and was the center of railroading in this part of Montana. I believe the high school team is called the “engineers.” But, there are no trains.

Morning at the Harlowton cafe. This is where I'll turn north towards Judith Gap.
Immagine Immagine

Looking south to the Beartooth Mountains. I don't expect the self-named pass is open yet.

Immagine

That's the Little Belt Mountains (on the left) and the Big Snowy Mountains (on the right). This is Judith Gap, straight through the middle.

Immagine

Judith Gap, Montana. There is rail traffic through the gap.

Immagine

Lewistown, Montana.

Immagine

Immagine Immagine

Lewistown Cemetery. My great-grandmother, Antonette (Benda) Kalal was born in Radětice, Bohemia in 1856. She emigrated to Chicago and then moved (with her children) to Roy Montana, which is not far from here.

Immagine
Daniel Kalal
Utente Registrato
Contatta:

Re: ...to Judith Gap, Montana [ many photographs]

Messaggio da Daniel Kalal »

It's a large cemetery, and I was not optimistic about finding the marker; but, I walked right to it within five minutes of starting my search. John Martin is one of her sons.

Immagine Immagine

Roy, Montana. It was never large, but it was once much more than this.

Immagine

'R' is for Roy.

Immagine

My grandfather (one of Antonnette's sons) was a founding member of the American Legion Post of Roy (which was once named for him), but these days it's just the Legion Bar, without any connection to what it once was.

Looking south towards the last peak of the Snowy Mountains. Roy is just to the right (out of the photograph).

Immagine

The Missouri River. The water is very high.

Immagine

The Little Rocky Mountains, riding north.

Immagine

The Bearpaw Mountains. We're not far from the end of the Nez Perce trek towards Canada and freedom. Most would never make it across the border.

Immagine

Looking north over the Milk River valley.

Immagine

The Bearpaw Battlefield. The Nez Perce were only forty miles from Canada, but after so many escapes from the army, they were engaged in a siege battle that they could not win.

Immagine

The map (on a display board) shows their long walk from Oregon, Washington and Idaho to this spot, just south of Canada.

Immagine Immagine
Tell General Howard I know his heart. What he told me before, I have it in my heart. I am tired of fighting. Our chiefs are killed; Looking Glass is dead, Too-hul-hul-sote is dead. The old men are all dead. It is the young men who say yes or no. He who led on the young men is dead. It is cold, and we have no blankets; the little children are freezing to death. My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food. No one knows where they are perhaps freezing to death. I want to have time to look for my children, to see how many I can find. Maybe I shall find them among the dead. Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever.

-- Hinmatóowyalahtq̓it (Chief Joseph)

Immagine

The stone (third photo below) marks where one of the Nez Perce leaders fell. You'll see little trinkets and mementos at other such markers (as is the case at all Indian battlefields I've been to).

This land must be as close to what it once was as could be expected. The nearest town is Chinook, twenty miles to the north. The road to the south soon turns to dirt, so you won't hear any traffic. All I heard were the many birds.

Immagine

Chinook, Montana.

Immagine

The Chinook SugarBeeters. Are they the “fighting” SugarBeeters? I don't know that sugar beets are even grown around here, anymore.

Immagine Immagine

Immagine Immagine

Immagine

Poplar, Montana. Following the “highline” and the route of the Milk River.

Immagine

Immagine

Culbertson, Montana.

Immagine

Immagine

Fairview, Montana.

Immagine

Immagine Immagine

Immagine North Dakota

Prairie potholes. Thousands of them.

Immagine Immagine
The Prairie Pothole Region is an area of the northern Great Plains and midgrass and tallgrass prairies that contains thousands of shallow wetlands known as potholes. These potholes are the result of glacier activity in the Wisconsin glaciation, which ended about 10,000 years ago. The decaying ice sheet left behind depressions formed by the uneven deposition of till in ground moraines. These depressions are called potholes, glacial potholes, kettles, or kettle lakes. They fill with water in the spring, creating wetlands which range in duration from temporary to semipermanent.

The region covers an area of about 276,000 sq mi, including parts of three Canadian provinces (Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and Alberta) and five U.S. states (Minnesota, Iowa, North and South Dakota, and Montana).

--Wikipedia.org

In this satellite photograph, the road I'm on can be seen at the bottom.

Immagine

Wing, North Dakota.

Immagine

I've just come through this storm, and I'm still wet.

Immagine

Linton, North Dakota.

Immagine

Immagine Immagine

Ashley, North Dakota.

Immagine

Immagine South Dakota

It's our duty. If we do our bit to move rocks from the field to these piles, the next generation will have it easier. And, so forth...

Immagine

Immagine

Crossing the Missouri River.

Immagine

That's Nebraska over there.

Immagine

Immagine Nebraska

Verdigre, Nebraska is one of several Bohemian towns from Texas to Montana.

Immagine

Immagine Immagine

I intended to have a kolache (koláč), but the woman behind the counter said that she only made batches that are sold by the tray. She said the town just isn't big enough to support singles--and they're such a lot of work to make. So, I'll have this raspberry thing with my coffee.

Elgin, Nebraska.

Immagine

Albion, Nebraska.

Immagine

Sometimes i wonder if they're even trying to make a profit at these little cafes. You get an awful lot of really good food for not much. The trick is always to ignore the menu and just order whatever is on the chalk board that day.

Immagine Kansas

Immagine

Perhaps the weather was not always the best, but for the most part it was just fine. It's good to have ridden through Judith Gap.
Falcone PS
Utente Registrato
La/le tua/e Moto Guzzi:: Falcone
Cardellino Lusso
Contatta:

Messaggio da Falcone PS »

Fantastico, per ora ho solo guardato le foto, che meraviglia. È ancora il selvaggio West.
Grazie Daniel :celebrate:
Determinazione e Pazienza.
Gatto del Cheshire
Utente Registrato
La/le tua/e Moto Guzzi:: ex Gilera Arcore 125
ex Kawa Z400
ex Breva 750
ora YBR 250

Messaggio da Gatto del Cheshire »

Very very interesting.
But how could you survive eating that kind of stuff ?

Immagine

As to Chief Joseph and the Nez Percés, I wonder which need there was to chase them with such a lot of space for all.
Ultima modifica di Gatto del Cheshire il gio mag 17, 2018 12:00 pm, modificato 2 volte in totale.
Cane
Socio Tesserato 2024
La/le tua/e Moto Guzzi:: ....... V7-850-Arancio
Ex California 1000
Ex Nevada

Messaggio da Cane »

Mq quanto gira in moto quest'uomo.... :clap:
Paolo
apemaia
Utente Registrato
La/le tua/e Moto Guzzi:: Furia G&B

Messaggio da apemaia »

Beautiful report Daniel, thank you! :ok:
Pask73
Socio Tesserato 2024
La/le tua/e Moto Guzzi:: v10 Centauro - Crazy Diamond
ex Norge 1200 GTL - 'o sputerone
ex v35III - Eclipse

Messaggio da Pask73 »

awais awais awais awais awais :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

Pask
v10Centauro - CrazyDiamond
Betto
Utente Registrato
La/le tua/e Moto Guzzi:: Quota 1000 1998 - km 174.500
Ex V11 Le Mans 2004 - km 60.900
V100 Mandello rosso magma - km 1200 :-)

Messaggio da Betto »

Immagine
The grey spots are roads you've already ridden? :aaah:

Thank you Daniel :celebrate: very nice report.
nafta
Utente Registrato
La/le tua/e Moto Guzzi:: v11#3 lm2 lm3 california 3

Messaggio da nafta »

Bel viaggio ottimamente descritto
Gatto del Cheshire
Utente Registrato
La/le tua/e Moto Guzzi:: ex Gilera Arcore 125
ex Kawa Z400
ex Breva 750
ora YBR 250

Messaggio da Gatto del Cheshire »

Bisogna dire che gli USA sono il posto migliore per viaggiare. Grandi distanze (forse troppo grandi...), motel e benzinai e buona accoglienza dappertutto.

Immagine

Volendo essere un po' critici, forse le città d'arte sono un po' rare.
mdanè
Socio Tesserato 2024
La/le tua/e Moto Guzzi:: V65, Griso 1100
Contatta:

Messaggio da mdanè »

Thanks Daniel for your wonderful report.
CLUBS:AnimaGuzzista,SSLazioMotociclismo. MOTO: V65, Griso 1100
Dogwalker
Utente Registrato

Messaggio da Dogwalker »

Wonderful report as usual, thanks! :ok:

DogW
Attività Neurali Avanzate ®
Marta850T3
Utente Registrato
La/le tua/e Moto Guzzi:: .
Marta
California 850 T3 1980
Donna Fugata
California Touring 2007

Messaggio da Marta850T3 »

Dear Daniel
I live in Abruzzo a small region of Italy 100 km long and about 200 km wide
east of Rome.
From us after 20 minutes in motion, meetings pierce the mountains .... pierces
You can not escape.
In your laps ................. in your photos .... the seasickness is looking at them
a huge dish .............. and then it's all too big .... vast .... wide.
Certainly it is America that deepest province.

Congratulations for the report also rich in news and explanations.

Thank you

Osvaldo
California 850.T3
" La Mia Marta "

Parlo poco e ascolto gli altri
e cerco di capire dove l'uomo
si tramuta in spirito........
Rispondi

Torna a “Forum Generale”